Monday, April 18, 2011

Game of Thrones

All I can say is WOW! Even if you're not particularly fond of fantasy, this series on HBO is definitely worth watching. Based on the book A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, it's more a story of kings and wars and back-stabbing and manipulation than the typical fantasy with magic. You won't find any fairies or unicorns or elves in this story. It's raw and gritty (intended for mature audiences) and very well done!

Anyone who appreciates excellent prose and an epic story should consider reading the series, called A Song of Ice and Fire (of which A Game of Thrones is book 1). I found myself completely immersed in the story such that I don't notice the writing. As an author, that's my goal -- to make the writing disappear and have the story take shape within the reader's mind as he reads. Mr. Martin is a master!

I'm betting the HBO series shoots his books to the top of the sales charts (again?) as new readers discover his amazing talent for storytelling. I've read the first three books in the series, and now I'm eager to start on book four, especially knowing that the conclusion of the story, A Dance With Dragons, is due to hit store shelves July 12.

1 comment:

Ryan Sullivan said...

There are currently planned to be two more books to the series: The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/5960-a-dance-with-dragons-the-latest-info-inc-pub-date/

I'm early in the series, around halfway through A Game of Thrones, and I love it!