Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Romance in fantasy

I admit, I've never been a fan of romance in fantasy, although if it fits the plot, I certainly don't mind it. Now I find myself needing to include a romantic subplot in my fantasy novel, and I'm not quite sure I know how I feel about it.

Writing the kissy, emotional scenes doesn't bother me. I don't plan to include anything R rated, so if my characters do end up in bed, it'll be behind a closed door. What makes me squirm is the need for it in the first place. For those who know the story of Gavin Kinshield, it makes perfect sense that he would need to find a wife -- and quickly (in case he croaks). In fact, omitting it altogether would be completely illogical from a story standpoint. Glossing over a subplot is, well, not who I am as a writer. If I'm going to include it, it has to be an integral part of the story. It has to pull its own weight.

Yet, I hesitate. When I ask myself why, the only answer that comes to mind is that "romance doesn't belong in fantasy." I know, I know. It's a subjective preference, one that many other fantasy readers share. Will they forgive me this one indulgence? Will I forgive myself?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think that fantasy precludes romance. Romance, to me, is all about relationship and emotion. (Not in a smarmy way.) I am looking forward to seeing Gavin Kinshield's character develop.

Anonymous said...

First off I am excited to read an update to the next book in the Kinshield Legacy. Second I think romance is fine in fantasy as long as it does not dominate the story or have pages of overly mushy dialogue. I think that can really bog down a story's pace.

Unknown said...

It will be interesting to watch Kinshield's reaction to being in a romance. If you paint it the same way you've dealt with building your world and characters, I don't see a problem. Romance happens. As long as it fits the story, and doesn't turn him into a cliché, this could be a lot of fun.

Lindsay Buroker said...

Romance is such an integral part of the human experience that it'd be weird to me if it *wasn't* in fantasy. Now if you balk at including romance-novel Scenes, I can certainly understand that, but I tend to miss relationships like that if they're not there (and the possibility exists for them to be a part of the story, which, granted, isn't always the case). And this is from someone who is a self-proclaimed action-adventure junkie. :)