Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Day 2

There’s so much going on, it’s been impossible to find time to write it down. We had critique groups in the morning for an hour and a half (and that time really flies), followed by a lecture. Today’s lecture was from author Laura J. Mixon. Not only is she a great teacher, she’s one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet. She talked about the feeding and caring of the inner beast – the wordless entity that resides in all of us which helps us express ourselves. Some people call it the muse, but the beast may be a better term for it because it can be a bit wild.

After lunch, we got together for a colloquium, where something happened, but I forgot what. Then we had one-on-one sessions with an instructor for an hour. My hour was with author Steve Gould. He took a good portion of that time critiquing my story, telling me what worked and why, and what didn’t work and why, and some thoughts on how to fix it. We discussed some of the other ideas brought up in my group critique, and talked about writing in general. The most significant piece of advice he gave me on my story was about the ending, and not letting the bad guy get off scott free.

I had a couple hours after that to read for Wednesday’s critique session, check email and such, before supper, after which I did some critiquing and went to bed just before midnight.

No comments: